Friday, April 1, 2011

Iliotibial Band Syndrome


This past week, a good friend of mine, The Author asked me, “ What does it mean when this muscle hurts when I run?”

So today, it thought I would address the common injury of the iliotibial band (IT Band). Commonly found among cyclists and runners, this pain usually begins as a tingle which progresses to a pain that often sidelines people for weeks.

The IT band is a tendon that stretches along the outside of the thigh down to the knee. Iliotibial Band Syndrome (ITBS) occurs when that muscle becomes tight, causing the tendon to pull the knee joint out of alignment and rub against the joint, resulting in inflammation and pain in the knee or hip.

ITBS is due to a number of factors, including overuse, exercising on uneven ground or hard surfaces, returning to an exercise program after a long period of rest, exercising in worn out shoes, tight muscles, pronation, or muscles imbalances.

Fortunately, the recovery process is a very simple one including rest, stretching and icing after a workout.

Check out the video below for some very effective stretches.

2 comments:

  1. Loved this post because I hate the IT Band. I had a pretty bad case of the ITBS. The video was definitely helpful but one thing that is a life changer for sure is a foam roller. I'm too impatient to stretch and ice so this helps loosen me up.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nice informative post. I have known people who have this problem. I did not know much about it but I know a bit more now. I think that the stretches are good for anyone.

    ReplyDelete