Wednesday, March 2, 2011

Athlete Profile: BMX Pro Nicholi Rogatkin



I met Nicholi Rogatkin after watching him in the 2009 NIKE 6.0 HB BMX PRO. I was astonished and amazed to see him at the age of 13 throwing out tricks with riders who had been riding for a lot longer. Nicholi is currently a freshman in high school in his hometown of Boston, Mass., whose extra-curriculars include competing professionally in BMX.

1. When is your season?

Nicholi: Year round with a little break in the winter


2. How do you get in shape?

Nicholi: I keep myself in shape year round doing all other sports (basketball, hockey, wake boarding, snowboarding...)


3. What do your practices consist of?

Nicholi: I like to learn new tricks, so I ride a lot my backyard ramps and Woodward Camp.


4. Do you do any other training?

Nicholi: Nothing special, but I love to do all sports in general.


5. What does your average week look like?

Nicholi: I go to a regular school, so a lot depends on school homework (I'm trying to stay in “A” range). I get 4-5 hours during the week plus 4-5 hours on weekend for sports, unless I have to travel for a contest or show.


6. What kinds of events/contests do you compete in?

Nicholi: I love to travel, so any time I get invited to events I jump on it. I've traveled through most of USA and Europe.


7. How do you prepare for an event?

Nicholi: I'm trying to spend more time doing what the event is going to be about (Dirt Jumping, Mini Ramp, Mega Ramp, Park). No special rituals.


8. What is your best or hardest trick? How long did it take you to nail it?

Nicholi: Backflip superman is cool. Double back flip is the scariest. Usually it doesn't take long time to learn a trick as long as I'm ready for it.


9. Are you working on any new ones?

Nicholi: I started to try more technical tricks - they are really fun.


10. When was your best competition?

Nicholi: I placed high in few Pro Contests, but no big wins yet.


11. How long have you been riding?

Nicholi: Since I was 5, so about 9 – 10 years now.


12. What has been your most favorite experience while riding for fun or in competition?

Nicholi: My next two events are my favorite. Masters of Dirt is an intense show in an arena with 10,000 spectators and FISE is an extreme sports festival in south of France with the best fans in the world.


13. Who is your favorite athlete?

Nicholi: I looked up to Jamie Bestwick since I was 7 years old. He's not only a good rider, but he has a great attitude towards the life in general.

14. What is your motto?

Nicholi: You can't accomplish something if you don't want it.


15. What is your goal (with BMX)?

Nicholi: I don't make big goals with BMX. I love to ride my bike, it takes me places and I really enjoy it for now.


16. Any advice?

Nicholi: Know what you have to do and do it, but you have to love it.


Nicholi Rogatkin will be competing in the 2011 Masters of Dirt in Vienna, Austria the second week on March, and in FISE 2011 in Montpellier, France at the end of May.



*Interview was conducted via Facebook

1 comment:

  1. This is kind of crazy!! I wish you had asked him about prize money like if he gets scholarship money for this. I also wanted to know how his family feels about the traveling. I'm sure it costs them money. Plus some people think BMX is highly dangerous. How do his parents feel about that?

    ReplyDelete